This beautiful house is the culmination of eight friends’ vision for a more ecological, communal and artistic future. For three years, we worked with a leading firm in sustainable architecture to design and build this house. Set at the apex of a 33-acre Grassfed cattle farm, this 3 bedroom, 3 loft, 2.5 bath dwelling is ideal for family get-togethers and intimate reunions with old friends. Many Blue Ridge Mountain sunsets have been celebrated from the balcony.
As the realization of a life project, we take great pride in this house and the surrounding lands, and will provide guides to the grounds, local produce from the farm (when available) and recommendations for activities unavailable to the casual traveler. Please check the Guidebook section of our Airbnb page for some initial suggestions of activities in the area: https://www.airbnb.com/things-to-do/rooms/21838457.
- 5 queen beds placed across 3 independent bedrooms (one en suite) and 3 lofts.
- 1 full bathroom, 1 bathroom with a hybrid “ship-shower”, and 1 half bathroom in the silo, as well as an outdoor shower.
- The light-filled, state-of-the-art, open kitchen features a picture window overlooking the rolling Virginia hills, a gas stove, and modern appliances (refrigerator, microwave, etc.). The space just calls out to passionate cooks. In line with our focus on a small building footprint, the refrigerator and stove are modest. We are happy to recommend the best farms in the area for local produce and a list of more traditional grocers in the area.
- Heating and cooling is conducted in individual units in each room, the most efficient available today. Each bedroom can be modified according to individual guest's comfort, but please keep all units on the same general mode (heat, A/C, or fan, etc).
- In the "Great Room" upstairs, there is a functioning fireplace, ideal for cold nights.
- As a place designed to "get away" from the hustle and bustle of city life, THERE IS NO WIFI. There is, however, excellent 4G/5G coverage, especially for Verizon and AT&T customers.
- There is a record player and CD player (with Aux connection) for music.
- Pets are allowed, just give us a heads up if you would like to bring one as there are ticks and poison ivy in the pasture areas. We keep a section of the main pasture mowed as a yard, which should have less risk of ivy or ticks, and is a great spot for yard games (we have croquet and frisbees in the silo).
Please note, THIS IS A WORKING FARM, THERE MAY BE SOME BUGS AND DIRT. (And cell phones work fine but we do not have WiFi.) We clean the house after each guest visit and mow the yard every 2-3 weeks, but our primary goal is not to replicate a hotel experience. Our focus has been on designing a functional, creative, and inspiring space where we can also host artist residencies and sustainable agriculture operations.
The farmhouse is part of a larger 33 acre farm purchased by the owners in 2013. The farm includes a cabin with a pre-civil war leather shop that has been converted to an artist's studio. Be ready to explore the land considered some of the most beautiful in Virginia! Adjacent to the famous Rapidan River and at the foot of historic Clark's Mountain, there are many fun outdoor activities to be found. Local wildlife includes deer, foxes, groundhogs, coyotes, and a once-spotted black bear. It's a great bird habitat for amateur ornithologists (with bald eagle, red-tail hawk, spotted owl, and blue heron sightings amongst others!). 13 acres of the property are in a conservation program to support native habitat and restore the Rapidan river (part of the Chesapeake Bay watershed).
Getting there and around:
- The farm is 80 miles / 90 minute drive from DC and it's suburbs, 45 minutes from Charlottesville. It’s 10 minutes from Orange and its quaint old town, replete with grocery stores, antique shops and local dining options.
- It's a perfect base to explore Virginia's unique historical heritage: Montpelier (20 minutes away), Monticello and UVA (45 minutes away), or central Virginia's best winemaker: Barboursville Vineyards (25 minutes away). There is also plenty opportunities to hike, bike and get moving outdoors.
- Closest towns are Orange (10 min drive) and Culpeper (25 min drive) for grocery shopping and restaurants.
Rapidan, Virginia, Yhdysvallat